Friday 27 January 2012

Nazar Boncuğu



For Eve



I must have stopped

before I felt her gaze:

an old dame squatting

in the sun,

by Sultanahmet.



Her hand reached out,

pressing a nazar bead

into my palm;

then motioned me to go,

back where she thought

I’d come.



Lost all day,

I couldn’t say,

not speaking her language.



The blue bead hangs

above my daughter’s bed -

an amulet or nazar boncuğu,

left there

and probably discarded.



Maybe she knew that too,

the lady in Istanbul;

but gave me the nazar anyway,

as proof against

malochhio,

matiasma, ayn al-ḥasūd

the evil eye;

trusting that it would find a home

when one was needed.




It winks out from

a trove of other gifts:

pendants and bangles,

charms and rings;

a Pippi Långstrump doll,

barbies and beanie-babies.



Beside, in pride of place,

a poster of Edward Scissorhands,

proving perhaps,

in London Town, as anywhere,

that innocence

must stand protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment